Friday, November 26, 2010

I am a Muslim

I attended an event at the Schlow Centre Region Library called "I am a Muslim." At the event, there were three speakers who are Muslims from different parts of the world. One of the speakers was from Kosovo, another was from Sudan, and the most memorable speaker of the night was a female student from Saudi Arabia who spent time talking about the hijab:

"It's a choice...just because I wear the hijab, that doesn't mean I am a good Muslim...If you don't wear the hijab, that doesn't mean your a bad Muslim," she said.

She also addressed the woman's role in Islam:

"I can go to work if I want, but that money is mine, not my husbands. Islam appreciates a woman," she explained.
But she elaborated by saying, "Her [a woman's] responsibility is to raise the children, not make the money for the family, that's the man's job."

As you can tell from the picture, a lot of students and people from the community came out to the event.

2 comments:

  1. Yea, maybe the Islamic faith tells their men to appreciate women, but it certainly comes in a different package than we see here. I was just reading a blog about Islamic nations still practicing honor killings - killing a woman for breaking their laws - such as divorce (like my post on the stoning). Is it ok to say that I feel like they may be deceived about how much they are truly appreciated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely great to see such a crowded room. I'm glad you got to attend this event, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete