Monday, November 15, 2010

Blogging Bishops?

Tonight, Catholic Bishops in the United States were asked to spread their religious teachings to a new continent and culture-- the "digitalized continent."

At the US Conference of Catholic Bishops in Baltimore, a present Bishop stated that the content of their religious material does not have to change, but the way in which they are reaching out to people should change if they are to meet the social media generation's needs. But Bishops are timid about this method, because they don't know how to use social media. And because United States citizens have the freedom to post whatever they want on a blog, it may be hard to keep up with user comments.

I think it would be interesting to follow this breaking trend in religious communications and see if the Bishops actually begin blogging. What would you ask a Bishop blogger?


3 comments:

  1. I would ask a Bishop blogger if he knew how to upload a podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting how people in the religious sphere are always concerned with staying 'relavant' to today's culture. Success seems to be connected to how in the culture a religious group is. I don't think this is necessarily so. Perhaps I cannot relate to a person on what is the lastest celebrity gossip or on the Harry Potter movies but I can certainly relate to them as human being who has hopes, fears and laughter. I guess I would ask a bishop if blogging is strenghtening or weakening the relationship with the God that he serves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Kelly!

    There's probably no point in joining a new trend unless it enhances or helps the religion or cause you're promoting. Your last point is very true-- bishops should be all for blogging if it's helping them get closer to God.

    I suppose blogging could serve as a form of reflection for a bishop, like a journal. I know I use a journal to collect my thoughts and write out prayers.

    But even if a blog was not used to help a bishop in this way, do you think that in some ways, keeping up with younger generations' choice media outlets is necessary for the religion to generate awareness and be passed on?

    ReplyDelete